Friday, October 22, 2010

2 Weeks Remaining

So I had actually delayed publishing this post by a week. Two weeks remaining is currently one week, however, I am too lazy to retype the post below so you're stuck back in time. Or rather I am. Um, okay... carry on.

---

Wow, two weeks passed by just like that and now we are left with two weeks remaining to complete the Basic Patisserie course. The earlier half seemed to be more relaxed and this second half seems to be more intense. Ironically, I feel that I am gradually picking up pace and speed only during this more challenging stage whereas I was fumbling around often during the earlier weeks. Regardless the reason, I am feeling more motivated. Our first and only written exam will be next week. The week after that is our final exam. We will receive a list of 10 recipes to focus on studying. It will be exciting but I am sure as hell that I will be extremely nervous.

I'll just cover what we had learned thus far within these two weeks of no updates with photos of pastries our chefs made and the ones I made during practicals. To sum up, we learned tartlets, Moka Genoise, croissants & pain au chocolat, and brioches & pain aux raisins.

I also had my one-on-one Chef Meeting with Chef MOF (of all chefs!) this past week. It was weird because I have only had him once for practical. I wasn't sure whether the chefs discuss among themselves about our performance in class. In the end, he was the one who provided me with the most encouraging words. I think my intimidation has lessened and I am growing more fond of him now.

---

Back to the present: I took my written exam today. It was more complicated than what we were told. Sneaky translators trying to throw our expectations off! Never listening to the gossip from school faculty anymore!

Since we finished early, I decided to stroll around in search for a coiffeur. How are you supposed to distinguish the trendy ones from the mediocre ones? I went for the one that had fancy bordered mirrors. Alas, it had cost me more than what I would have liked to have paid. Let's just say in New York, I could've dyed my hair in addition to the haircut for the same price. Heck, in Chinatown, they might even be able to fit in a one-time bonus hair treatment! It was for the experience I guess...

I made french toast with the brioche that I had left. Then realized that I didn't have syrup! So with whatever ingredients that I had on hand, I made a mush of banana purée with some milk and sugar. Don't ask.

Anyway, it's been colder lately yet I still wore a dress out today. I felt a little pretty in this foreign Parisian land. Until next time!

1 comment:

  1. bonjour! it was nice out today so i wore a dress too!

    ReplyDelete