Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Belated Post on a Rainy Night

I am yet again very much procrastinating in updating this blog. July was national ice cream month so as I mentioned months ago, I made a Chai flavored ice cream. Didn't get to churn it properly since my container just wasn't cold enough so there were itty bitty pieces of ice in it. Sad news. Better luck next time. I'm not making that flavor again because no one in my household likes Chai apparently! The more popular item is the palmier so I made those again but this time with "European butter". I didn't spot much difference between using good ol American butter versus the European one. So it looks like I can be cheap and use the domestic butter.


Right now I am baking some brioche in the oven. It's too bad that I don't have any molds for them except for one loaf pan so there are 4 buns that look like Chinese roast pork buns. How deceiving! Pictures for these will probably be posted in 2 months at my blogging speed. I also made macarons 2 weeks ago for my company at ADM. It was a joint visit with my fellow pastry chef, Candy, who made Earl Grey cream puffs. Everyone at the office enjoyed them so we were happy! We have fulfilled our duty.

I have also started working at a restaurant last week and I'm already expected to do service solo this week. I better quicken up my pace or else I'll have some angry diners along with an angry chef. I should really be sleeping now or at least in half an hour.

On another note, I finally got to visit New World Mall at Flushing. Food court heaven! One of the dessert places was a replica of Honeymoon Dessert in Hong Kong. They used the same bowls and same menu but instead, it's called Manji Dessert. The Chinese name is still the same, however! I was disappointed to learn that there's actually no affiliation between the two but hey, bootleg is better than none at all. Here's what I ordered. Mango Pancake and Mango and Black Glutinous Rice in Vanilla Sauce (my favorite! but the mango could've been better).


Well, brioche is done. Time to clean up and hit the sack. Another closing shift coming up for the following 6 days. Dang.

No comments:

Post a Comment