Wednesday, March 09, 2016

Revisit

On our day off this past Monday, we attended a food and restaurant industry expo to learn of any new trends or new products being introduced. So, essentially, it was a work day I guess. Now that we have been operating for a while, it is so much easier to navigate through the countless booths since I have a clearer idea of what we need. We came across some savory vendors and of course I'd always like to fantasize about serving a savory menu in addition to our desserts at Honeybee. "One step at a time," I'd always have to remind myself. Having a savory menu would open up an entirely different world of items to address: the dining ware, cutlery, table service? Would we even be considered a pâtisserie anymore? Perhaps a bistro! Well, wouldn't that be nice?

Afterwards, we had a dinner reservation at my old workplace. The old workplace that is now categorized as American rather than French with a new executive chef and pastry chef. The setting was the same as I last remembered it but the atmosphere was slightly different. The attire of the servers and runners had been revamped, now donned in a slick vest. The cooks and pastry cooks wore a trendy blue apron over their whites rather than the mundane yellowing white apron. The food itself was most noticeably different. The flavors of each savory dish were strong, sometimes overwhelming. It was delectable and necessary to consume slowly to enjoy it to the fullest extent. The desserts were a work of art. The plating was so intricate and beautiful. Of course I had to take photos to give credit to Diana, who did the plating on most of these.



It was really nice to be back again; to be treated like family despite so many unfamiliar faces who now work there. I'm so glad that my old colleague/friend had invited me to visit. The hospitality had been warm and friendly as usual. It was yet another memorable meal at The Modern. Hope to be back again sometime soon.

Being there gave me a nice surge of memories and a hint of desire to be back at a fine dining establishment. That dinner service rush with the tickets pouring in. Being swift, precise, and delicate with your movements. Having a pastry team family. Perhaps one day again. Honeybee ain't so bad either. If only there was a bigger pastry team instead of me being so lonesome on most days!

Anyhow, bed time again. À tout à l'heure.

No comments:

Post a Comment