Friday, September 03, 2010

Apple Picking in the Kitchen



Here we are again with Chef JFD on tarts! So begins Lesson 02: Classic French Apple Tart, Tart Tatin, and Normandy Tart; all of which uses the basic sweet short pastry... and apples.

Not much to really say about this lesson except that we had a taste test of all three tarts at the end. I originally had myself confused with the Classic French Apple Tart and the Tart Tatin.


During the practical, I knew we were to make the Classic French Apple Tart (by appearance) but I had the recipe/name incorrect in my mind so I had almost made the wrong item! Luckily my classmates corrected me.

Oh yes, and for the first time, I raised my hand in class to ask a question. Wow, Anna who never talks in class unless she's been called on by the professor.


Anyways, onto the more enjoyable part of the blog: the photos.

Here are the finished pieces by the Chef. The left two (top and bottom) are the Normandy Tarts, which have an egg custard in between the gaps of the apple slices. The top is glazed with an apricot glaze to create a luscious shine.

The two next to them are the Classic French Apple Tarts. These were not glazed with apricot but they have been brushed with butter and sugar. Not as shiny. There's an apple filling with cinnamon underneath all those thin slices of apples.

Lastly, we have the Tart Tatin. No matter how I angled my camera, I couldn't get a picture that made it look appealing enough. It sort of looks like a mess so I'm not exactly sure if it's supposed to look like that...

Well, one thing that I'm sure of is that it's better than what I would be able to do!

All of them tasted pretty good! Apples were a little tart but it's fine. I wouldn't want a mouthful of sugary sweetness anyway.

And so we move onto our practical led by Chef JJT: a display of some students' masterpieces! They all looked very creative. There was even one with a little heart! I don't know which student that one belonged to. My guess is a girl. hah. I wanted to do a heart shape too but in the end, I just opted for half a heart and lined them up. They were so thin so they got burnt anyway. Boo. Anyhow, pictures below.




Looks good, doesn't it? Well, anyway, here's a not so good looking photo that my mom kept urging me to post: me in my outfit/uniform.



This was from yesterday's practical with the sablés. I look like a dork, yes I am very well aware of that. Maybe if I had shown my apron and whatnot, it would look more professional?



Yeah, maybe not with that hairnet and smile. haha.



So I don't know what to do with these finished baked goods. My landlord is actually paying me a visit tomorrow. For what? I don't really know exactly but I am making him take some of it. It's such a waste if I were to throw it out. If only you guys were here to lend a stomach like you always do!


Here are my creations: the Diamonds (from yesterday's practical) and the Classic French Apple Tart (from today's practical).


I ate both tonight as dessert after dinner. Again, the apples were quite tart... My apple tart was tart! har har har.... okay, maybe not.



See the burnt slices? Yeah, not that pretty. Better luck next time on the decorating skills! I have none.


Hope you enjoyed my horrendously long blog tonight. It took me forever to write and upload the photos. Sorry if I had bored you.



I know, the layout is bad too. haha.


Anyway, a free weekend!! You guys back in the States have Labor Day off. Lucky you. I have class on Monday. At least it's not the 8:30AM one yet. That's on Thursday. Sigh. You guys can give me a wake up call. It's 12am on your side during the time I need to wake up. :P Yeah? Yeah? Volunteers?


Okay, good night. :)

3 comments:

  1. Omg, such pretty masterpieces. :) Ahaha, your apple tart was tart. :P You look so cute in your uniform. Did you have to ask one of the Chinese guys in your class to help you take the pic? :P I wish I were there to partake in some of those yummies. Hopefully your landlord will appreciate 'em. :) I could give you a wake up call...if I'm up by then ehehe. Wait, who am I kidding? Of course I'll be up then...:P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh..these all look so great. I wish that you could have delivered some of the goodies through the phone. Verizon or Google needs to create a teleportation machine so that can happen.

    You look so cute and I'd high 5 your mom for making you put up that pic. We need more Chef Ng's pictures up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just showed this to my family and my parents said the same thing as Sally, send some through the phone!

    ReplyDelete