Friday, September 10, 2010

A Conglomeration of Things



Lesson 03: Cake aux Fruits (Fruit Cakes), Madeleines, and Week-Ends (Lemon Pound Cakes) were shown during the demonstration by a new Chef that we haven't had before! I think he has become my favourite Chef to learn from.

He is Chef XC. Very light-hearted and free spirited with a good sense of humour. Very much unlike the Chef who had us for the practical. They were nearly two complete opposites!

Chef NB was the one who taught us for the practical. He was the MOF of 2004. Perhaps that is why he seems to be the most strict of all chefs? He had some slight sense of humour as well but was predominantly just yelling at students or lecturing them. Yes, I was one of the victims.

But in the end, this is the result of the war zone in the kitchen. My Cake aux Fruits and Madeleines.

Chef MOF criticized me for having laid my Madeleines on the bump to cool off so they were ugly. I suppose that I should have laid them out more neatly before I had rushed off to wash the molds. I was just afraid he'd yell at me for not having washed the molds yet!

Anyway, the Cake aux Fruits weren't too bad despite having soaked with a rum syrup. It doesn't taste like the much appalled fruit cakes during Christmastime. I think the toasted almonds and the rum makes it better. I mean, who doesn't like alcohol?!


Today, we learned Pâte à Choux during demonstration but I'll post up pictures after we have completed the practical. I'm still trying to finish up the aforementioned pastries. In fact, I still have the Diamonds!!

Instead, I'll just show some photos during my stroll around the 1er, 2ème, and 8ème Arrondisements. I have already posted some of these on my Facebook photo album so you can just skim through if you have seen it.


Doesn't the Arc de Triomphe make you think of the background used for this blog? haha That's the first thing that came to my mind. And here's just for fun: the nummies I have come across that I remembered to take a photo of :)

Sigh. And now I dread the 8:30AM class to come in just... 9 hours from now. Saint Honoré, here I come!

6 comments:

  1. "who doesn't like alcohol?"
    oh i know this one.. you!

    keep at it, don't let their criticisms get you down

    can't wait to visit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna, I love your pictures, they're so pretty! This is E btw =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such gorgeous pictures. :) I wanna try some of that fruit cake now. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the support everyone :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still remember the memorable moment of you and alcohol at Dip. Fun times.

    Did you see Ratatouille? Chef Nicolas Bernardé is Colette and you're Linguini/Remy. Add oil!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha I'm so glad that I haven't had him again since that one time. He pops up occasionally here and there just to peek in. Watch after I've said this, I'm going to have him this week... twice in a row :P

    ReplyDelete