Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Receiving My Carte D'Etudiant


So begins Basic Patisserie! August 30th was when I had my orientation. Here's my official student ID card! And also part of the uniform in the background. I can run around to all the shops and try to get student discounts now. :P

So I've noticed that there's quite a number of students from China and what's weird is that they all know how to speak French somewhat. I never thought of that combination. I admit that I am impressed! Unfortunately, not a single one speaks Cantonese. I feel so left out.

The entire procedure for the orientation was conducted in French, which was translated into English shortly afterwards. I tried to understand the French but heavily relied on the translation. I am full of fail.


We were divided into 4 groups and each toured the school in addition to meeting the pastry chefs. They handed out uniform and equipment at the end. The locker rooms are tiny. There's barely any room for us to stand in there to change... I might just end up wearing the uniform over my clothes instead of changing out of them so I can get out of that cramped area ASAP!


Anyway, so here are the utensils. This was a heavy kit to carry home. Luckily, I can leave this in the locker. I just brought it home to label them as mine so that it does not get mixed up with the other students. They're all Wüsthof branded. So fancy! I wonder how much this kit costs alone. I had already paid for it in the tuition anyway.

I will embark on my first demonstration today at 15:30 to 21:30h (3:30pm-9:30pm). 6 hours straight. I hope I won't fall asleep...



Oh, so I also bought my first baguette. I used some Nutella to spread over a few slices to eat as a late lunch/afternoon snack. Yum.

When you guys come visit, I'll make sure to have some at home so you can enjoy too. C'est un plaisir! I see that phrase everywhere here when it comes to the baguette and Nutella combination.

I still have not been able to find Speculoos here. I wonder if it's only a Belgian thing. The Speculoos spread rivals up to Nutella in my opinion. Nummy!

Anyway, I'll try to take some photos at school today. I'll bring my DSLR and hope they won't scold me for bringing such a huge chunk of technology into the room.

5 comments:

  1. You are full of win! Never put yourself down, someone else will gladly do it for you. Also I heart that plate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do the Chinese students speak Mando? Use the zenmeyang phrase xiao yang yang!

    Also, guard those tools with your life. Stuff happens. I've seen it before..

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha Yeah, that's why there's a lock to that kit. Yes the students do all speak Mandarin. I actually had to use a little today :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Purdy set of equipment you've got there. :) And you are totally not full of fail. I can't wait to see succeed! Awww, yay...at least you'll get to practice your mandarin and French at the same time now. :) C'est bon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. didn't they give u the price of the tool kit itself? it cost about 2500 USD...but you got a extra scale there, so it should be higher!! hey, do not completely trust the locker ok? I always take my toolbox home end of the week. it's not safe. and ppl in the school knows how much it worth. guard it with ur life my dear!

    ReplyDelete