Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Today Marks My Official Residency

Today was my appointment at l'OFII to get my medical examination and resident permit approved. Paid my 55€ in taxes first. Afterwards, I hopped from room to room to get eyesight (near and far) checked, weight and height checked, lungs x-rayed (first experience ever and I even get to keep the copy), and finally a face to face discussion about my health in general. Overall, I passed! They stamped and signed my medical certificate and stuck the resident permit into my passport. "C'est fini!" is what they said to me after all that was done and over with. Finally! All legal documentation done.

With that completed, I took my stroll through Paris once again but this time from the 11ème to 4ème to 1er. I just basically went from East to West but this time on Rue de Rivoli. Here are some pictures!

There's: Hôtel de Ville on top left (going clockwise), a neighborhood filled with streets like these near Forum des Halles (a mall), Tour Saint-Jacques (Saint-Jacques Tower), L’église Saint-Eustache (a church in Les Halles), and Colonne de Juillet (July Column) with L'Opéra Bastille in Bastille. This is not the order of where I walked. It's just for the sake of fitting the photos in proportionately. Lots of cultural buildings and monuments that I passed by. So breathtaking!



Since I was in the area, I decided to check out Bubble-T. As seen in the photo, the letter "T" seems to be missing. hah.

I ordered a Green Bubble Chai. It was okay... I should've went for Matcha au Lait or something. Yes, it came with the tapioca that I never really liked. BUT the nifty thing worth mentioning was that the lid had my astrological sign!

On a side note, I really liked the portraits hung on the wall. Very artistic. It seems like with my logo there, it's as though I'm claiming credit for those pieces of art. I'm just claiming credit for photographing them!

So here are also some nummies I have came across today shown below. Times like these, I really do wish I had the polarizer lens filter. Horrible window reflections of light and sometimes of me holding the camera...

Well, actually, the bottom left photo is savory. There's cheese and meat in them. Anyhow... since we're on the topic of food, here's a recap of Lesson 05 at le Cordon Bleu: Feuilletage (Puff Pastry)

During demonstration, we learned how to make Chaussons aux Pommes (Apple Turnovers), Palmiers (Palms), and Pailles aux Framboises (Raspberry Strawmats). Layers and layers of butter. Yum. In demonstration, we only made the Chaussons and the Palmiers. See below!

I'll need practice with this puff pastry. My layers weren't exactly puff enough. Boo. Oh and we ended up having Chef C as our practical chef. I was happy. Anyway, that's all for tonight. Tomorrow will be back to pâte à choux with both demonstration and practical in one day. Oh and it will be the start of my French language classes! Huzzah.

12 comments:

  1. do you even eat french food there?

    i'm one step closer to visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did eat French food! Twice! Actually, correction: all the time because all these pastries are French!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i knew you would say that

    ReplyDelete
  4. LCB Paris looks much better than LCB Sydney !! Why!!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really?? It's so small! We all share one table too. I hear LCB Sydney, two people share one table. I like that better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did your assisting go that you mentioned in the last entry?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not bad! First time walking into a huge refrigerator. Oh, and we were short on eggs so I had to run to the basement and back up to class again. Good exercise I guess?

    ReplyDelete
  8. 2 ? 3 on a long bench. but each has their work station. ah reminiscence of old times..

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's good to have individual work stations. We have to leave our bags and equipment wherever there is space on the shelves above the stoves. I remember following your blog intently back then!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on being approved!

    How's your French? I can't wait to hear you with the accent. It's going to sound so sexay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Sally! My French is still as bad as ever but my vocabulary is slowly building itself back up again. What accent? You mean my English accent when I speak French as I butcher the poor language? hah

    ReplyDelete